This week's Recipes ...
Click here for last week's recipes
|Red Butter Lettuce|
Healthy Recipes Collections
Healthy Juicing Recipes
Click here for Juicing Recipes
(This week's recipes are usually uploaded by Friday each week.
If they have not yet been updated, please check back later. Thanks).
Reduce High Blood
Pressure - DASH - diet click here
Pasta with Collard Greens and Onions:
• 1 bunch collard greens, stemmed and washed
• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 1 medium onion, preferably a red onion, cut in half lengthwise, then sliced across the grain
• Salt to taste
• ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
• 2 garlic cloves, minced, or 1/2 head green garlic, stalks and papery shells removed, sliced
• Freshly ground pepper
• 8 to 12 ounces pasta, any shape
• ½ cup cooking water from the pasta
• 1 to 2 ounces Parmesan (to taste)
• Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt generously and add the collard greens. Blanch for 2 minutes, then using a slotted spoon or a skimmer,
transfer to a bowl of cold water and drain. Squeeze out excess water and cut crosswise into thin ribbons.
• Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large lidded frying pan and add the onion. Cook, stirring often, until it is tender and translucent, about 5
minutes, and add a generous pinch of salt, the red pepper flakes and the garlic. Cook, stirring, until the garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute, and add the
collard greens and salt and pepper to taste. When the greens begin to sizzle, turn the heat to low, cover and simmer 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup water,
cover and continue to simmer for another 5 to 10 minutes, stirring often, until the greens are tender. Taste and adjust seasonings.
• Meanwhile, cook the pasta. Bring the water in the pot back to a boil and add the pasta. Cook al dente, following the timing instructions on the
• Before draining the pasta, ladle 1/2 cup of the cooking water from the pot into the frying pan with the collard greens and onions. Drain the pasta
and toss with the greens. Serve, topping each serving with Parmesan to taste.
Vegetarian Southern Style Collard Greens:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 large onion, chopped
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 pound collard greens, chopped
3 cups vegetable stock
2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a large pot over medium heat, heat oil and butter. Saute the onions until slightly softened, about 2 minutes, then add the red pepper flakes and
garlic, cook another minute. Add collard greens and cook another minute. Add the vegetable stock, cover and bring to a simmer. Cook until greens
are tender, about 40 minutes. Add tomatoes and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Raw Collard Greens Salad:
• 1 bunch collard greens, washed
• ⅛ cup olive oil
• ¼ teaspoon sea salt
• ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
• 6-8 chopped sun-dried tomatoes
• ⅓ cup onion, chopped
• 1-3 cloves raw garlic, minced
• 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
• ½ teaspoon black pepper
• De-stem and chop the collard greens. An easy way to de-stem collard greens is by folding them in half lengthwise along the stem with the
darker green side down and then pull up the stem until it comes off and you’re left mostly with leaf. An easy way to chop the collards is to stack a few
leaves, roll them up into a cigar shape and cut the through the collard cylinder, making strips.
• Place strips in a large bowl. Pour olive oil on collard strips and sprinkle on salt. Massage the oil and salt into the strips with your hands until all
pieces are well coated.
• Whisk together apple cider vinegar, sun-dried tomatoes, onions, garlic, red pepper flakes and ground pepper.
• Pour apple cider vinegar dressing over the collard green strips. Let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 3-4 hours, but overnight is best.
Grilled Eggplant Salad:
1 Italian eggplant, cut into 1-inch thick slices
1 large red onion, cut into rounds
1 avocado, halved, pitted and flesh chopped
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
1 tablespoon coarsely chopped oregano leaves
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 lemon, zested
Parsley sprigs, for garnish
Brush the eggplant and red onions with canola oil and arrange on the grill. Cook the eggplant until soft and grill the onions until they have a slight
char. Remove from the grill to a cutting board and let cool slightly. Once cool, roughly chop and add them to a serving bowl along with the avocado.
In a small bowl, whisk together the red wine vinegar, the Dijon, and oregano. Add honey and olive oil, to taste, and blend until emulsified. Season with
salt and pepper, to taste.
Add the dressing to the eggplant mixture and toss. Garnish with lemon zest and parsley sprigs and serve.
Roasted Eggplant and Tomato Towers:
3 large globe eggplants, each about 1 pound, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
1/4 cup kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
Extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons good-quality balsamic vinegar
Freshly ground black pepper
16 slices large tomato, each 1/4-inch thick
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 1/2 pounds fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/4-inch slices
In a large bowl toss the eggplant slices with 1/4 cup kosher salt. Using your fingertips, evenly distribute the salt on both sides of each slice. Place the
eggplant in a colander set over a large bowl or sheet pan to catch juices. Set aside for 1 to 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line two 18 by 13-inch baking sheets with heavy-duty foil.
Rinse the eggplant under cold water and dry thoroughly with paper towels.
Arrange the eggplant slices in a single layer on one baking sheet. Brush olive oil on 1 side. Brush with balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with freshly
Drizzle the other pan with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Arrange the tomato slices in a single layer, season with salt and pepper, then sprinkle with the
Roast the tomato slices until they are very soft and just beginning to brown, 10 to 15 minutes, without turning. Bake the eggplant slices until they are
tender and well browned, 20 to 30 minutes, without turning. Let the tomato and eggplant slices cool until you can handle them with your fingers.
Make a short stack starting with eggplant on the bottom, 1 slice mozzarella, and then tomato. Top with another piece of eggplant. Warm stacks in the
oven until mozzarella lightly melts. Drizzle with olive oil and serve.
Roasted Eggplant with Arugula and Avocado Salad
1 medium-sized eggplant yielding 2 cups of small cubes
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
4 cups baby arugula
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Chop the eggplant into small ½ inch cubes and toss with the salt in a small bowl and set aside for 20
Make the dressing by whisking together the sesame oil and lemon juice. Add a pinch of salt to taste.
Spread the eggplant cubes out on a paper towel-lined plate and squeeze out some of the liquid. Return the cubes to the bowl and add the olive oil,
cumin and paprika. Toss until mixed very well and spread the cubes out on a single layer of a baking sheet. Cook for 20 minutes.
Slice the avocado into chunks and add to a large bowl along with the arugula. Sprinkle the cooked eggplant on top and toss with the sesame lemon
Green Apple and Celery Salad
o 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
o 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
o 5 teaspoons honey
o 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
o 1 large bunch celery with leaves
o 2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, quartered, cored; each quarter cut into 2 wedges, then thinly sliced crosswise into triangle shapes
o 3/4 cup walnuts, toasted, chopped
o Whisk first 3 ingredients in small bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in oil. Season vinaigrette with salt and pepper.
o Trim celery leaves and chop enough to measure 1 cup. Thinly slice stalks on deep diagonal. Place celery pieces in bowl of cold water.
(Vinaigrette, celery leaves, and celery pieces can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover separately and refrigerate.)
o Drain celery; pat dry with paper towels. Combine celery, celery leaves, apples, and walnuts in large bowl. Add vinaigrette and toss to coat.
Season salad to taste with salt and pepper.
Celery and Cucumber Salad with Herbs:
• 6 celery stalks, thinly sliced crosswise
• 1 English cucumber, peeled, seeded, and thinly sliced crosswise
• 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
• 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh mint
• 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
Toss together celery, cucumber, parsley, mint, and oil in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
Celery and Cabbage Coleslaw:
• 1⁄4 head green cabbage
• 2 stalks celery (including leaves)
• 2 -3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
• 1⁄2 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
With a food processor shred the cabbage and celery.
Mix the rest of the ingredients (to taste).
Red Leaf Lettuce:
Red Leaf Lettuce with Shallot Vinaigrette:
o 1 large shallot, minced
o 2 teaspoons white-wine vinegar
o 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
o 3 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
o coarse salt to taste
o 1 large head red-leaf lettuce
Stir together shallot and vinegar and let stand 10 minutes. Whisk in mustard, oil, kosher salt, and pepper to taste until blended. Tear lettuce into bite-
size pieces and toss with shallot vinaigrette.
Red Leaf Lettuce with Balsamic Onions:
3 small red onions
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons good balsamic vinegar
1 cup good olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 tablespoons minced shallots (2 large)
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/4 cup good red wine vinegar
2 heads red-leaf, washed, spun dry, and torn into pieces.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Cut the onions in 1/2 and slice 1/4-inch thick, place on a baking sheet and toss with:
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until the onions are tender.
Remove from oven and toss with 2 more tablespoons balsamic vinegar and cool to room temperature.
Whisk together the shallots, mustard, red wine vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. While whisking, add 3/4 cup olive
oil until emulsified.
To assemble, toss enough lettuce for 6 people with dressing, to taste. Place the lettuce on 6 plates and arrange the onions on top. Sprinkle with salt
and pepper and serve.
Strawberry Goat Cheese Salad:
• 10 large fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
• 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
• ¼ cup plus 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
• Salt and pepper to taste
• ⅓ cup sliced almonds
• 6 cups (packed) torn red lettuce leaves
• 1¼ cups sliced fresh strawberries
• 2 oz. goat cheese, crumbled
1. In a blender or mini food processor, combine fresh basil leaves, white wine vinegar and olive oil. Puree until fairly smooth (small pieces of basil
are okay). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
1. In a small skillet set over medium heat, toast slivered almonds until light golden brown, stirring occasionally. Watch carefully so that the
almonds do not burn.
2. In a large bowl, combine torn red leaf lettuce, sliced strawberries, almonds and crumbled goat cheese. Toss with desired amount of basil
vinaigrette. You will not need all of the vinaigrette. Serve immediately.
Grilled Portobello Mushrooms:
• 3 portobello mushrooms
• 1/4 cup canola oil
• 3 tablespoons chopped onion
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
• Add all ingredients to list
• Clean mushrooms and remove stems, reserve for other use. Place caps on a plate with the gills up.
• In a small bowl, combine the oil, onion, garlic and vinegar. Pour mixture evenly over the mushroom caps and let stand for 1 hour.
• Grill over hot grill for 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
Grilled Portobello Mushrooms with Tomatoes and Fresh Mozzarella
3 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for greasing grill pan
4 large portobello mushrooms (about 5 inches in diameter), stemmed
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 small to medium sized vine ripened tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
8 ounces fresh water-packed mozzarella, drained, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
Prepare the barbecue (medium-high heat).
Drizzle 3 tablespoons of olive oil over both sides of the mushrooms. Sprinkle the mushrooms with salt and pepper. Drizzle olive oil on grill pan to
prevent mushrooms from sticking. Grill until the mushrooms are heated through and tender, about 5 minutes per side.
Meanwhile, whisk the extra-virgin olive oil and garlic in a medium bowl to blend. Add the tomatoes, cheese, and basil and toss to coat. Season the
tomato salad, to taste, with salt and pepper.
Place 1 hot grilled mushroom gill side up on each of 4 plates. Sprinkle with more salt and pepper. Spoon the tomato salad atop the mushrooms,
drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil to finish, about 1 tablespoon and serve.
Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/grilled-portobello-mushrooms-with-tomatoes-and-fresh-mozzarella-recipe.html?
Portobello Mushroom Salad
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
4 portobello mushrooms, cleaned, gills removed, quartered, and cut into slices 1/8 to 1/4-inch thick
1 red onion, diced
1 cup baby spinach (packed), soaked to remove grit, well rinsed and dried in a salad spinner or with paper towels
2 large ripe fresh tomatoes
1 tablespoon fresh dill, minced
Heat balsamic and soy in a skillet and allow mushrooms to poach while the sauce reduces. Remove from heat and let cool. In a mixing bowl toss with
onion, spinach and tomatoes. Serve chilled, family style, garnishing with fresh dill.
4 ripe Hass avocados
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (1 lemon)
8 dashes hot sauce (recommended: Tabasco)
1/2 cup small-diced red onion (1 small onion)
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 medium tomato, seeded, and small-diced
Cut the avocados in half, remove the pits, and scoop the flesh out of their shells into a large bowl. (I use my hands.) Immediately add the lemon juice,
hot sauce, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper and toss well. Using a sharp knife, slice through the avocados in the bowl until they are finely diced. Add the
tomatoes. Mix well and taste for salt and pepper.
Whisk 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, 1 tablespoon each fresh lime juice and orange juice, 1 minced shallot and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Add 2
diced avocados, 1 1/2 cups cubed jicama or radishes, 1/2 cup each cubed mango and pineapple and 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro; gently toss.
Season with salt.
Avocado Stuffed Portobello
• 4 Portabello Mushrooms
• 4 Cloves Garlic
• Sprinkle of Garlic and Herb Spice
• Sprinkle Sea Salt
• Sprinkle Black Pepper
• For the Avocado Topping:
• 2 Avocados
• Sprinkle Sea Salt
• Sprinkle Black Pepper
• More Black Pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit (180 degrees celsius).
2. Cover a baking tray in parchment paper.
3. Crush the garlic cloves on top of the mushrooms.
4. Sprinkle sea salt, black pepper and garlic and herb spice generously on top of each mushroom.
5. Place the mushrooms on the baking tray and put into the oven to bake for 20 minutes.
6. While the mushrooms are baking prepare your avocado.
7. Slice the avocados in half, scoop out the seeds and scoop the flesh into a bowl.
8. Mash with a fork.
9. Add sea salt and black pepper to taste.
10. When the mushrooms are cooked remove from the oven.
11. Tip off any excess water from the cooking process that has collected on top of the mushroom onto the plate.
12. Add a thick layer of avocado to the top of each mushroom.
13. Add more black pepper.
14. Serve with fresh bread or basmati rice.
Mixed Greens with Lime Vinaigrette
6 cups mixed lettuce greens
3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Place lettuce in a large bowl.
In a jar with a lid, shake together remaining ingredients. Pour desired amount of vinaigrette over greens just before serving. There will be leftover
1 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
Pinch kosher salt
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups sugar
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (or bottled key lime juice)
2 teaspoons grated lime zest
Confectioners' sugar, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Spray the bottom and sides of a 9 by 13-inch cake pan with nonstick spray.
To make the crust, combine the butter and confectioners' sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium-
high speed for 2 to 3 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add the flour and salt, and mix another minute until well combined *Cook's Note: The cookie crust
dough can be prepared up to 2 days in advance, then wrapped in plastic and stored in the refrigerator. When you're ready to bake the bars, simply
bring the dough to room temperature and pat out as described above.
Transfer the dough to the prepared pan, and pat out to an even thickness over the bottom of the pan. Bake the crust for 20 to 25 minutes, until lightly
golden. Remove from the oven, and cook on a baking rack.
To make the topping, whisk together the eggs and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add the flour, and whisk until just combined, then whisk in the lime
juice and zest. Pour the lime topping over the cooled crust, then bake for an additional 25 minutes, or until the filling is set.
Allow the bars to cool completely. Generously dust with confectioners' sugar and cut into squares. *Cook's Note: For the neatest presentation, use a
metal spatula or a butcher's scraper to remove the bars from the pan. Leftovers will keep for 2 or 3 days at room temperature, or for up to a week in
Cantaloupe Salad with lime, mint and ginger
o 1 cantaloupe, halved, seeded, peeled
o 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
o 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
o 2 teaspoons grated lime peel
o 2 tablespoons sugar
o 2 1/2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
o 2 teaspoons honey
Cut cantaloupe into 3/4- to 1-inch cubes (about 5 cups) and place in large bowl. Add lime juice, mint, and lime peel; toss to blend. Mix in sugar,
ginger, and honey. Refrigerate salad until ready to serve, stirring occasionally, up to 3 hours.
Avocado Cantaloupe Salad With Honey Lime Dressing
• 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice (no substitutions)
• 3 tablespoons honey
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
• 1⁄2 cantaloupe
• 2 avocados, halved, pitted, peeled
• 1⁄4 cup shallot, thinly sliced
• Whisk lime juice, honey, oil, salt and pepper together for the vinaigrette.
• Cut cantaloupe half into 9 slices, then halve crosswise to make 18 wedges.
• Slice each avocado half into three wedges.
• Assemble salads, placing 3 cantaloupe wedges and 2 avocado wedges on each plate.
• Sprinkle with shallots then drizzle with vinaigrette.
Simple Cantaloupe Smoothie
• 1 cup vanilla yogurt (such as Dannon® Light and Fit®)
• 1/2 cup orange juice
• 1/2 cup sliced cantaloupe
• 4 ice cubes, crushed, or as needed
• Blend yogurt, orange juice, cantaloupe, and ice cubes in a blender until smooth, about 30 seconds.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 egg, beaten
1 cup milk
1 cup finely mashed banana (bungolan, latundan or kamay princesa )
• Stir together flour, baking powder. sugar and salt.
• Combine eggs, milk, oil, anise and mashed cassava.
• Pour all at once over flour mixture and stir only until flour is moistened.
• Pour into greased 4-1/2- by 8-1/2-inch loaf pan.
• Bake at 375 degrees F for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until done.
• Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan; cool completely before slicing.
• Yield: 1 loaf.
Haas Avocado and Banana Smoothie
¼ cup pineapple juice
1 (6-oz.) pkg. Greek-style nonfat yogurt, banana, pineapple or vanilla flavor
1 frozen, very ripe banana, peeled and cubed
½ ripe, fresh Hass avocado, seeded and peeled
Sweetener, optional as desired
Place juice, yogurt, banana, and avocado in a blender. With the blender on the smoothie or puree setting, blend until smooth
Cantaloupe Banana Sorbet
1. 1 banana, frozen
2. 2 heaping cups cubed cantaloupe, frozen
3. Raw honey, for drizzle (optional)
1. Place the frozen banana and frozen cantaloupe in a blender or food processor and pulse until combined into an ice cream like texture.
2. You can either serve it now or freeze until you've reached your desired consistency.